What does YHWH/Yahweh mean?
I use the name "Yahweh." Some ask “What/Who is Yahweh? Does she even believe in God?". I've been asked this question A MILLION times (trust me), and it's okay. I totally understand. Yahweh is a transliteration of God's Hebraic name. Confused? Let me explain.
The Bible explains that there are many gods (1 Corinthians 8:5). In history, it is recorded that the nations surrounding ancient Israel worshipped various gods named Ashtoreth, Baal, Molech, and more. If you read modern bibles you will still find the name of these gods today. However, various translations have removed the name of the one true God — Yahweh or YHWH.
The Old Testament was written in Hebrew and also in Aramaic. The one true God's name is represented in Hebrew as יהוה. The Hebrew language is read from right to left and when translated in English the letters read YHWH. The original vowel sounds used in His name are unknown, but the common rendering and representation of His name is written and pronounced as "Yahweh". Some individuals use the name “Jehovah”, but unfortunately, this is a mistranslation of His name for in the Hebrew alphabet the letter “J” does not exist. The four Hebrew letters, YHWH, however, repeatedly appear throughout ancient manuscripts.
Nevertheless, many new translations are beginning to recognize and use the name Yahweh, as well as short abbreviations of His name. For example, in the New Kings James version of the Bible in Psalms 68:4 the abbreviation of Yahweh is used stating “Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol him who rides on the clouds, By His name YAH, and rejoice before Him". You can check the translation right now and see it for yourself 😊.
The first instance of when Yahweh revealed that He has a name was to Moses (Exodus 3:13-15).
A person can have many titles such as mother, father, daughter, and so on. In the same way Yahweh has many titles such as almighty, creator, Elohim, and of course God. I use the name Yahweh in my videos, posts, and in conversations with others when I speak. If you choose to do the same I do think it's worth mentioning to others the significance of the sacred name, why you use it, and who you're referring to — just to provide further clarity — especially if you using the name in the conversation for the first time.
Below I have identified a few verses that give the reason as to the importance of using Yahweh’s name.
1. Therefore my people shall know my name. Therefore in that day, they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I (Isaiah 52:6 ESV).
2. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him (John 5:43 NIV).
3. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth (Luke 11:2 NIV).
4. The name of the Yahweh is like a strong tower; the righteous person runs to it and is set safely on high (Proverbs 18:10 HCBS).
5. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12 KJV).
Here is also an AMAZING video I came across that explains the name Yahweh in further detail.
If you have any questions or comments feel free to comment below!